Rappers rake in billions, while teachers and police officers have to work extra jobs to make ends meet. Politicians are able to spin falsehoods on a daily basis, while you can’t even tell a white lie to get out of jury duty. It’s true. While maintaining a steady exercise program, you could have a heart attack. At the same time, the sedentary individual lives to the ripe old age of ninety. Life’s not fair.
As a nutritionist, I tell my clients that life may not be fair, but food is. An apple a day keeps the doctor away just the same for me as it does for you (unless you have been stricken with a metabolic or hormone disorder). Food is the great equalizer. I may not be able to control who cuts me off in traffic, but I can have control over what I stick in my mouth when I get home. Food is a tool for fueling your body. It is not designed to effectively deal with emotions and stress. Failing to realize that food is a tool is the reason for unhealthy eating habits and conversely getting fat.
To avoid the pitfalls of an unhealthy lifestyle and attempt to make life just a little bit more fair, one must start with the TKO Fair Food Basics:
- Design your healthy menu: Develop a weekly menu in advance of your grocery shopping trip. Make sure this menu encompasses the number of meals you need to eat with a balance of protein, carbs, and fats.
- Shop strategically: Don’t get derailed at the grocery store by impulse buys or extras you do not need. Despite your hunter and gatherer instincts, relax. There is no longer a need to fear the saber tooth tiger. Buy what you need at the grocery store instead of items that do not help you meet your goals.
- Meal preparation: Prepare and pre-portion your meals in advance. Store your meals in ready-to-go containers in your refrigerator. This will allow you to avoid impulse eating and monitor your food intake for the day. This is the most tedious and cumbersome part of your week. I never said this was easy. Fast food peddlers have built empires on our inability to put in the work. Avoid the quick fix and invest just as much time into your body that you do updating your status on social media. (Note: No need for status pics.)
- Eat by the clock: I have all my clients live by this rule. Under-eating is just as bad as overeating when determining your overall health plan. Eat every 2.5 – 3 hours.
- Feed the machine: Your body is a machine and you must feed it like one. Your body will begin to set its own internal clock if you eat regularly. You will notice yourself getting hungry every 2.5 – 3 hours. This is good. Once you’ve reset your ?machine?, you can set it on cruise control. The rest becomes easy.
Your health and appearance are generally governed by a healthy dose of genetics and ?fate?. For example, heart attacks and cancer may not be avoidable in your future because, well, life’s not fair. However, by implementing these five key components, you take back control of your destiny, give yourself a fighting chance, and give fairness the boot. At TKO Nutrition, we can help you design your healthy menu and knockout a poor diet as a contributing factor in your overall health.